Tenacious T and the African Adventure

The chronicles of my 6 month trip to Uganda, East Africa to work as a nurse in a rural sustainable community development project run by Africa Community Technical Service (ACTS)

Sunday, October 01, 2006

In the beginning...was a blog

I have decided to make THE first blog ever of my life to help update everyone with news and pictures during my trip to Uganda. So here it is!!!

Finally ... after about 2 weeks of crazy and frantic pre-departure preparation I have begun my new adventure! Props go out to:

Lindsey: fabulous roomate and best friend for tolerating utter chaos in our living room, rising stress levels, and a pre departure To Do list that included hand written thank you notes and programming my entire I-Pod :) I am eternally grateful babe

Sarah: other uber-fabulous roomate giving out free hair do's, barmaid services at the benefit concert, and fried tofu snacks!

Sheldon: my darling, for inummerable best boyfriend behavour too vast to mention but including coffee deliver, car service, emotional support, and the one that deserves a Nobel prize in the world of relationships...the 4 hour shopping trip to WalMart for last minute "essentials"!!! (Lord bless that man!)

..not to mention many others who loved and supported me enough to get going on this dream of mine...my parents/everyone who helped out at the benefit concert/my financial supporters etc. etc. ...what is this an academy speech?! Needless to say it takes a whole lot of people to get me out of a house!! Never mind a country!!

Ok so carrying on. I am going to Uganda as a volunteer nurse with ACTS to work in a village called Rubingo. I will be working at a small health clinic there as well as potentially helping to run a number of ACTS health related projects: HIV/AIDS program, working with widows. More details to come. I am there for a 6 month term.

At the moment I am on Vancouver Island for a week of orientation before departing on Oct 7th for Uganda. I am staying in a hostel with 10 other wonderful people who are going with me on this excursion:

THE LINE UP:

Bryony
Emily
Katie
Mel
Laura
Ryan
John
Joel
Ty
Graham


Remember those names because you will be hearing more about them in the next 6 months!!! First impressions are great :) and plus they are all going to read this in 5 minutes ;) no seriously I have now had a chance to stop/breathe and turn my thoughts to the months ahead and the work we are attempting to accomplish and have become so excited. I am thankful to God to have this opportunity and only pray to Him that I will be filled with the strength to accomplish what I am setting out to do and in some way have a positive influence that would not exist had I not came and will continue on long after I leave! Praise the Lord for miracles... (and Sheldon...just can't get over that shopping trip, seriously we hit every aisle except car parts and paint and he STILL didn't complain!!)

1 Comments:

At 11:49 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Tanessa. Your blog is a gift to the cyber-community. Now go to bed!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home